Physical activity doesn’t need to be overly stressful or severely complicated. It’s not a secret that physical activities improve your overall health condition, and often times a habit as simple as a brisk walk three to four times a week can greatly improve many aspects of your physical life. In fact, if you would say you are a busy person, it’s highly likely that you do more walking than you recognize.
The health Benefits of walking.
Did you know the the health benefits of walking will help you:
- Improve coordination and balance
- Strengthen your bones and physical structure
- Maintain a healthy body weight
- Prevent or help control life threatening conditions (Like high blood pressure, heart disease)
- Enhance your mental wellbeing
Yep, that’s right! Research has shown that walking a mere 30 minutes a day is more than enough to help you reap the few benefits that are listed above. You’re probably walking well over 30 minutes throughout your entire day, but are you really making the most of these small walks you’re taking?
A few easy tips and tricks to help you experience the health benefits of walking include:
- Walking in a smooth manner, practice rolling your foot from your heel to your toe
- Keep your head up high; make sure to look forward and not at the ground
- Tighten your stomach muscles slightly while you move and keep them tightened
- Make sure your back is straight and not arched forward or backward
- Swing your arms freely and comfortably in your movement
- Let your neck and shoulders be relaxed and not stiff or too upright
These tips and tricks are not written in stone, but if you keep them in mind and try and incorporate them even throughout your day, you will undoubtedly begin to see subtle changes in your physical and mental health.
How to Incorporate More Steps into Your Life
No one is too busy to introduce more walking into their life and daily routine! If it’s still a little tough to try and work in, here are a few things to help you raise the number of steps in your day.
- Substitute walking for driving. Making a quick trip to the mini mart around the corner? If a location is within reasonable walking distance, walk it out.
- Take a friend or find a walking buddy. Some people do not like the idea of being alone, and it keeps them from walking. This can easily be rectified by walking with a friend, family member, or appointing yourself a walking buddy.
- Take the stairs. For those who work in multi-floored office buildings, the elevator is often times tempting and makes you feel like you’re reaching your destination faster. That’s not always the case and taking the stairs definitely gets more steps into your day.
- Walk your pets. There are times where simply letting the dog out into the yard seems more appealing than walking him/her around the block. Both your pet and your body will appreciate a dedicated stroll every now and again.
- Walk with music. If you think walking is boring, take your mp3 player along to enhance the experience and set a comfortable pace to your favorite beats.
There are just some of the way you can incorporate more walking into your daily life, but we’re really helping you will tell us some others that we have missed in the comments
That’s all up to you! A lot of us don’t have someone to remind us that we should be walking more on a day-to-day basis. To easily remind yourself of the benefits and techniques that will help you incorporate these tips and tricks, simply think about how thankful your physical and mental health will be in the long run. Feeling and looking better should not always be a massive struggle, and you will find that walking more can also help you eliminate some other unwanted habits such as excessive smoking, unnecessary eating, and stress build up.
No matter how busy you are, you’re never too busy to walk it out! Stay tuned here with us at Veppo for more tips and tricks about every day health.