Do you remember your favorite female fitness icons from the 70s and the 80s?
If you do, perhaps you’re wondering where they are, and what they’re doing now. Are they still fit? Where have they been? What happened to them?
Well, a little research goes a long way, and you’ll probably be shocked, surprised, and possibly impressed with what these older fitness icons are doing to this day. So, without further ado, slip into that old pink leotard and leg warmers, fire up the VHS player, and proceed to get physical!
- Jane Fonda was born in New York City on December 21, 1937. Now at the age of 75, this very successful lady has been an American actress, out spoken political activist, author, fashion model, and fitness wonder woman. She rose to fame in the 1960s with several hit American motion pictures, and Jane Fonda has walked away with two Academy Awards, an Emmy, three Golden Globes, and several other movie awards for her contributions to the entertainment industry. Within the time span of an impressive 50-year acting career, she has also starred in over 20 fitness and work-out videos between 1982 and 2010.On May 22, 2012 Jane Fonda released a New York Times Bestseller entitled Prime Time: Making the Most of All Your Life. Despite her book having some high reviews, Jane faced great difficulties promoting her book in a few venues, a some difficulties stemmed from her political views that seemed to displease many during and about the Vietnam War.
- Kathy Smith, born December 11, 1951, became famous for her fitness and work-out videos during the 1980s and 1990s. As an energetic personal trainer, she sold over 16 million exercise videos since the 1980s. Her exercise and nutrition program Project:You! put her on the map due to her working in unison with the American Diabetes Association.The target participant audience of the project consists of those suffering from Stage 2 Diabetes, and the project is a complete lifestyle system to assist Diabetics with healthier living. These days, at the age of 62, Kathy Smith is still going strong in the physical fitness industry. In 2012 she released two brand new DVDs, and she continues her promotions of nutrition and exercise. Kathy Smith is also the active official spokeswoman for the International Council on Active Ageing.
- Denise Austin was born in San Pedro, California on February 13, 1957. As a well-known personal trainer, group fitness instructor, and entrepreneur, she was noticed as a gymnast and later graduated from California State University with her bachelor’s degree in physical education and physiology. In the passing years, she has taught countless exercise classes, created work-out video tapes, produced fitness shows, and written several successful books. She is widely recognized for her emphasis on staying fit naturally, and her belief of exercising for short periods of time daily without skipping any meals. At the age of 56, Denise Austin still has a blast promoting fitness, and this year she released a new DVD which raised the count of her exercise videos to a whopping 98! Recently for Rite-Aid, Kathy has also produced a new brand of fitness products, and on top of that her 15th book was also published in January 2013.
- Olivia Newton John was born on September 26, 1948 in Cambridge, England. This actress and songstress is still active at the age of 65, but she will forever go down in history for her earlier career achievements such as starring in Grease and releasing her double platinum album Physical. Now, she may not be as big of a fitness guru as our other ladies here… but to counter the extremely sexually suggestive tone of the title track Physical Olivia filmed an aerobic-themed music video that quickly turned the song into a world-wide fitness anthem. To this day, Olivia Newton John still actively tours the world to perform concerts and promote fundraising charities.
- Lilias Folan is commonly referred to as “The First Lady of Yoga” thanks to her groundbreaking PBS television series Lilias! Yoga and You. The show aired from 1972 to 1999 with a total count of 500 popular episodes. Lilias is widely mentioned as one of America’s most well-knowing and cherished yoga teachers, and she has been referred to as “The Julia Child of Yoga” within the pages of Time Magazine. Being well versed in many diverse yoga traditions, Lilias uses personal practices and instinct in her teaching processes, and she has spent more than 40 years enthusing fellow instructors, pupils, and yoga practitioners around the world. These days Lilias Folan continues to offer successful yoga programs and guides, as well as well-written books about the many different aspects of yoga.
No matter who you are, you’ve got to be impressed with how these super-fit leading ladies are still going strong. Be it through new work-out tapes, charity or foundation work, product releases, or writing, it is clear that age is only a number to these iconic female figures.